WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Andy Anderson did Sunday School research and conferencing for the Baptist Sunday School Board (now LifeWay) in the 1970s. He made an important discovery in his research among small, medium, and large churches around the country–who were in a mix of rural, suburban, and city settings. He discovered that when 3 lost people were enrolled and active in Sunday School for a year, one out of the three would be saved.
Because that research was dated, over the last five years I have asked Kentucky pastors how many lost people are saved in the first year of attending their classes. The consistent responses from over 100 pastors is 50-100%! Wow, we need to enroll and care for more lost people in Sunday School!
WHAT DO I DO? Lead your class to see, pursue, and include lost people. Lead your class to…
- Pray. Identify and pray for lost people in the age group for the class.
- Connect. Get to know lost people, especially those for whom they are praying.
- Invite. Include lost people in your invitations for fellowships, projects, meals, and group time.
- Enroll. Ask them if you may add them to your class care list.
- Care. Contact them, pray for them, fellowship with them, and meet their needs.
- Example. Talk about someone you are praying for, inviting, and working to enroll.
Lead the class to make a list of lost people to pray for and reach out to. Lead your class to take steps this month!