If that is the case, then ask yourself the question, “Is it an organized group or structured chaos?” What do I mean by that? Well it’s simple. Many churches have Sunday School because we’ve always had Sunday School, but with not with a purpose. Instead, it can be an organized group that functions like a well-oiled machine with every part hitting on all cylinders. Here are eight questions to check to see if your Sunday school program is organized well or not:
- Do your teachers, apprentices, and greeters show up early on Sunday morning (to pray, prepare the classroom, and greet)?
- Do your teachers, apprentices, and outreach leaders prepare the classroom for guests (expectancy)?
- Is each room free from clutter and organized? Are there things in the room that could be removed or thrown away?
- Do teachers stand at the door welcoming people as they arrive (or are class greeters enlisted to do so)?
- Are teachers getting feedback from those who are in the class from participatory teaching methods as well as from class members and/or care group leaders?
- Do teachers take time each week to check on their class members and guests (or are care group leaders enlisted to do so)?
- Do teachers and workers participate in monthly/quarterly/semiannual planning meetings and training sessions? Have each of them enlisted an apprentice who attends with them?
- Are your classes fully staffed for growth?
How is your Sunday School doing? Did the questions help you identify some areas of organization that need some attention?
When it comes to organization, it is your responsibility! You may be the minister of education, Sunday school director, pastor, teacher, or whatever title your church has given you. Regardless of title you have the responsibility of assessing, analyzing, and implementing whatever it takes to make your Sunday School the very best organized group it can be.
Because at the end of the day you do not want to look back and say I should have done a better job!
Dwayne Lee serves as Associate Group Leader for the Bible Teaching/Leadership Team of the State Convention of Baptists in Ohio.