The beginning of a new year is always a great time to reflect on God’s blessings and work in the year past. What has He been doing around you? What has He done in your life? How has He impacted the lives of those in your class? For what should you pause to give Him thanks?
At the same time, this is also a good time for examining ways to give God our best in the year ahead. As you begin the new year, what resolutions do you need to make? What commitments to Him will make you the person and teacher He desires?
Consider these resolutions about praying, studying, and preparing to be your best:
- I will have a daily quiet time of at least 30 minutes per day, including prayer and Bible study.
- I will begin studying my lesson each week on Sunday by reading the scripture and asking God to illustrate the lesson’s truth throughout the week.
- I will listen to what God says to me in His Word before seeking His leadership for teaching any passage.
- I will seek to prepare to lead an encounter with God in His Word rather than only a lesson.
- I will make disciples this year rather than teach lessons.
- I will study a little bit every day rather than wait until the last minute.
- I will begin practicing spiritual disciplines (like praying through scripture, see Teaching Sunday School Members to Pray Through Scripture) to strengthen my personal discipleship.
- I will prepare and use a variety of teaching methods to address more learning styles of class members.
- I will plan (and save) time in every lesson for members to apply the truth and determine what response God desires from them.
- I will include an icebreaker in the plan for every lesson in order to get attenders talking early.
- I will plan and prepare to increase participation in every lesson.
- I will remind attenders weekly to invest in preparing for our time together.
- I will personally apply the truth of each lesson and give my best effort to live it out in my context.
Which one(s) of these resolutions are you willing to pray? Which one(s) are you willing to commit to this year? Maybe these made you think of another one. Personalize the list. Personalize the resolution. Make this year your best for serving our great God! Thank you, Lord, for last year. Now help me make the year ahead a great one for you! Happy New Year!
Darryl Wilson has served as Director of the Sunday School Department for the Kentucky Baptist Convention since 1997. He served as Minister of Education in churches in South Carolina and Kentucky. He is the author of The Sunday School Revolutionary!, a blog about life-changing Sunday School and small groups.
For more ideas about Sunday School resolutions, check out these posts: