Why is this important?
“…And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:6-8. (ESV)
In order to effectively partner with parents, we must intentionally maximize our impact in the time we have with kids at church. Here are 5 things that are needed in every children’s classroom at Church:
- Trained Teachers who have a love for Christ and Kids. Offering training and resources for children’s teachers will equip them to help lay intentional spiritual foundations and to share their faith with the Kids.
- Bible – Children are concrete learners. When we are intentional in having children use their Bibles in class each week, it reinforces the importance of God’s Word and helps to develop Bible Skills and a love for scripture.
- Kids – If we are to reach the next generation, our church needs to have a heart for kids and their families. We need to seek ways to plug into the community and develop relationships with young families.
- An intentional plan to teach about Jesus. – As a church, we need to wisely choose curriculum for our classrooms that is age appropriate and lays Biblical foundations in the lives of our kids.
- A plan to connect and partner with parents/family –. Communicate what you are teaching each week as well as recommend resources that can be used at home.
Redeem the Time . . .Ephesians 5:16
Maria Brannen has served as a State Missionary with the Georgia Baptist Mission Board since 1998 and is a Kids Groups and Faith Development Consultant. Prior to that, she served on church staff in Georgia and Texas. She has produced multiple resources including Bible Drill Devotional Books, Youth Bible Drill Leader’s Guides and a Bible Drill app in the iTunes store. Connect with Maria at facebook.com/gbckidsministry,
or https://www.pinterest.com/gabibledrill/ . Maria’s e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org