WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Many are familiar with the idea of making contacts through cards, letters, phone calls, and visits for their Sunday School or Small Group. We understand the value of a personal touch with face-to-face conversation, but we must not neglect the social media world that exists as well.
Making contact or connecting with those we have on our list is essential. Ask questions. Communicate events and information. Enrich relationships. Despite the proliferation of social media, many groups are still not using these tools connect with those on their ministry list and to others as well.
WHAT DO I DO? Here are a few things to consider when using social media with a group.
- Understand what types of social media are used by your group so you can be the most effective.
- Communicate weekly with social media.
- Use social media to continue the teaching of the previous group experience or to prepare for teaching for the upcoming meeting of your group. This helps with application.
- Use social media to promote group socials and update prayer requests and ministry needs.
- If using Facebook, create a group for your group. Here is a video on how this is done and how it can benefit your group for both ministry to the members and reaching new people as well. https://vimeo.com/133695454
Stay in touch with your group. Use social media to complement your personal touch contacts. Doing so will enrich your communication and your care.