WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Proverbs 29:18, “where there is no vision the people perish.” Certainly, the Sunday School Leadership Team should design a plan to close the gap between where the Sunday School organization is and where they want it to be. But a teacher or group leader should lead their group to learn from the past, better understand the present, and move purposefully toward the future.
WHAT DO I DO?
My mom taught a Sunday School class for over 50 years. One of the things that I learned from her was the importance of having regular class meetings. As a teacher, I practice having an annual growth planning day with my group. Here are nine reasons why:
- Planning gives you the opportunity to solve potential problems.
- Planning helps the group to be more productive.
- Planning allows you to celebrate accomplishments.
- Planning makes growth more likely.
- Planning enables the anticipation of future needs.
- Planning helps bring about balance.
- Planning helps plans become ours rather than theirs.
- Planning helps make better use of the group giftedness and resources.
- Planning makes happier members (and leaders).
Dream a big dream. God wants to use your group to see people saved, baptized and developed.
Mark Miller, Tennessee Baptist Convention