WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? When we think of reaching out to prospects for our groups, we might first consider inviting them to our group meeting. We have been conditioned in many ways to value the number of prospects in attendance on a given day when our group meets. This becomes our measure of success. It is a worthy idea, but the way we approach success with prospects needs to be evaluated differently.
WHAT DO I DO? Here are some suggestions on how to best reach prospects through ministry.
• Value the person over the group. Our goal is reaching and discipling people. When we do that well, our attendance will reflect that. Our interest should be on the individual and their needs not the needs the group might have.
• Discover the needs of prospects. These are discovered when people are engaged in meaningful conversations. Create environments where these conversations take place.
• Glean information from these conversations and put ministry into action to meet those needs.
• Pray for the needs of those we are reaching. Ask them how we can best pray for their needs.
• Work together as a group to meet the needs of prospects. Strategize on how this is best done by connecting with those who can best help with a certain need.